Cinnamon And Spice Make Everything Nice
Topped with powdered sugar, spice cake is perfect morning, noon, and night!
Spice cake is one of my favorite treats with coffee or tea. The fact that it is delicious with just powdered sugar is amazing or you can top it with a cream cheese frosting which is fabulous too! I love how it makes my whole house smell wonderful, comforting and inviting. Enjoy!
2 1/3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt
12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons whole milk
1. Grease and flour a 9" cake pan.
Note: I never use a cooking spray when greasing my pans. It causes a build up on your pans that you can never quite remove. It is worth the little extra to grease with butter or shortening.
2. Sift together dry ingredients.
3. Beat butter until creamy.
4. Add sugar and mix well.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, until well mixed.
6. Add milk, being careful to add it in stages to avoid a mess.
7. Slowly add your dry ingredients in small batches, mixing until combined each time.
8. Pour batter into the cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife or cake tester comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven, let sit for a few minutes before removing from pan. Let cool on a cooling rack, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Yum!
Note: Let cool completely if you intend to frost your cake.
Basic recipe is from The Joy of Cooking, of course, with my little changes.