Almond Cake With A Lemon Glaze
Topped with blueberries, this cake was a wonderful treat!
This cake was a hit with the girls at coffee. I love almonds and the combination with the lemon glaze was fabulous. It called for self rising flour, which I didn't have, but I made due with making a batch myself. Easy and I've included it as a note.
1 cup sugar
10 Tablespoons butter, softened
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/2 cup self-rising flour *see note below
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups ground almonds
1/2 cup confectioners sugar (for the glaze)
Juice of 1 small lemon (for the glaze)
*Note: To make your own batch of self rising flour combine 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
1. Grease and flour a 9" cake pan (I used one with a removable bottom). I am sure that you could use a springform pan as well.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat sugar and butter until creamy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
4. Add the almond extract.
5. In another bowl, combine with a fork, the flour, almonds, and baking powder.
6. Add to mixer and beat until well combined.
7. Pour batter into cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Keep a close eye after 30 minutes, depending on your oven. Mine takes longer. Cake is done when a knife or cake tester inserted comes out clean.
8. Let cool for a bit before releasing the cake from the pan.
9. When cake is cooled completely, combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice and pour over cake (I topped with blueberries for a little decorative fun).