Yellow Butter Wedding Cake With A Blueberry Buttercream Frosting
I love the light purple color that the blueberry jam provides!
A slice of blueberry heaven!
My beautiful cakes right from the oven, nice and flat for easy frosting!
My favorite cake baking week thus far, simply because I love baking in a commercial kitchen and I was able to have a 7 year old helper, and that was a lot of fun!!! I also learned a great lesson in baking. A customer, who loves to bake, offered a wonderful tip by suggesting a way not to have a domed cake, which makes frosting easier. She suggested that before putting the cakes into the oven, that I should drop the filled cake pans from about a foot high onto the counter 3 times to ensure a flat cake. Well, I gave it a try and it worked beautifully! Thanks Linda! This week's recipe was a classic wedding cake recipe and turned out delicious. But as I am committed to staying inside the box and following the recipe exactly, I must admit one change. I used a different type of sugar, coconut sugar, because I have been trying to be a little bit more conscious of the needs of my customers who are eating my cakes and who are diabetic. Coconut sugar is a good alternative for diabetics and for all of us really, so please forgive the change. The recipe is written with regular sugar listed, but please feel free to substitute. I love the blueberry jam in the frosting and because blueberries are in season, I didn't have to add any sugar, just a little water, making a fabulous jam! Another great addition to the frosting, I used coconut milk instead of regular milk, what a difference! This cake just reminds me of what a Maine wedding should be! I think I need to get out for a lobster roll.
For The Cake:
6 large egg yolks
1 cup milk
1/2 Tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt (I use pink himalayan)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
For The Frosting:
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 - 3 Tablespoons coconut milk
2 - 3 Tablespoons blueberry jam
Additional blueberry jam for layering
For The Cake:
1. Grease and flour 2 9" cake pans.
2. In a medium bowl, lightly combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup milk, and the vanilla.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix on low for 1 minute to blend.
4. Add the butter and remaining milk, beating well.
5. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, always scraping down the sides of the bowl between each batch.
6. Divide batter evenly between the two cake pans.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted.
8. Let cool for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
9. Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
For The Frosting:
1. Combine in a mixer the confectioner's sugar and butter.
2. Add the coconut milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
3. Add blueberry jam one tablespoon at a time until desired taste.
4. Frost to your hearts content!